Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, The Dianne and Michael Bienes Special Collections and Rare Book Library is pleased to present the seventeenth annual Florida Artists’ Book Prize exhibition.
The criteria for entering the competition are:
- The entry must be original work completed or published in the calendar year 2013.
- The entry must be created or published in an edition (i.e., more than one copy).
- The entry cannot be a trade edition (i.e., produced commercially by a publishing house for sale in the United States or internationally).
- The artist's primary residence must be the State of Florida.
- DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: Book entries must be received in the Bienes Museum by January 31, 2013. All entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
- While all artists are encouraged to participate, the prior year’s winning artist is ineligible to be selected as the winner.
The prize-winning Artists’
Book becomes the property of the Bienes Museum.
Selected entries will be on exhibition at the Bienes Museum until July 7, 2014.
The Florida Artists’ Book Prize was jointly established in 1997 by Broward County Libraries Division’s Bienes Museum of the Modern Book and the Florida Center for the Book. For this year’s competition, the following panel of distinguished individuals served as jurors:
Cristina Favretto, Head of Special Collections, University of Miami (Coral Gables, Florida); Linda K. Johnson, Chair and Professor of Graphic Design (Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL); Jean Trebbi, retired director of the Florida Center for the Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Krystyna Wasserman, Curator of Book Arts, National Museum of Women in the Arts (Washington, D.C). Serving as facilitators were Debbie Llenza, Bienes Museum of the Modern Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Lillian Perricone, Bienes Museum of the Modern Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL).
This year’s prize of $1,000 was awarded to Michelle Ray for her book: God Created the Sea and Painted it Blue so We’d Feel Good on it. Eighteen artists’ books were entered in the competition by fourteen different Florida artists.
Bienes Museum of the Modern Book
Broward County Main Library, 6th Floor
100 S. Andrews Ave. Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
Click here to browse the Bienes Museum’s 2013 Florida Artists' Book Prize Exhibition collection online.