Bienes Museum of the Modern Book, The Dianne and Michael Bienes Special Collections and Rare Book Library, and the Florida Center for the Book are pleased to present the fifteenth annual Florida Artists’ Book Prize exhibition.
The criteria for entering the competition are:
The book entered in the competition must have been created or published in the calendar year 2011.
- The entry must be created or published in an edition (i.e., more than one copy).
- Entry cannot be a trade edition (i.e., produced commercially by a publishing house for sale in the United States or internationally).
- The artist's primary residence must be the State of Florida.
- DEADLINE FOR ENTRY: Book entries must be received in the Bienes Museum by January 13, 2012.
- All entries must be accompanied by an entry form.
While all artists are encouraged to participate, the prior year’s winning artist is ineligible to be selected as the winner.
The prize-winning Artists’ Book becomes the property of the Bienes Museum.
Selected entries will be on exhibition at the Bienes Museum until June 29, 2012. Participating artists will be notified if their entry was selected for exhibition or not.
- Artists or their representatives are responsible for picking up the entries:
- All Artists’ Books selected for inclusion in exhibition should be picked up at the end of the exhibition, from July 9 through August 1, 2012.
- Books not selected for exhibition can be picked up by March 30, 2012.
o All entries not picked up by August 1, 2012 will be returned to the address listed in the entry form, via U.S. Mail, uninsured.
The artist gives Broward County permission to reproduce images of the book in any format for publicity and educational purposes.
The Florida Artists’ Book Prize was jointly established in 1997 by Broward County Libraries Division’s Bienes Museum of the Modern Book and the Florida Center for the Book. For this year’s competition, the following panel of distinguished individuals served as jurors:
John Cutrone, Director, Jaffe Center for Book Arts (Florida Atlantic University, Boca Raton, FL); Cristina Favretto, Head of Special Collections, University of Miami (Coral Gables, Florida); Jean Trebbi, retired director of the Florida Center for the Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Krystyna Wasserman, Curator of Book Arts, National Museum of Women in the Arts (Washington, D.C).
Serving as facilitators were Debbie Llenza, librarian of the Bienes Museum of the Modern Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL); and Tara Zimmermann, program coordinator of the Florida Center for the Book (Fort Lauderdale, FL).
This year’s prize of $2,000 was awarded to Marie Marcano for her book: “Nevermore: FAQ to a Raven".” Fifteen artists’ books were entered in the competition by thirteen different Florida artists. All of the books selected for the exhibition are shown here in their entirety.
Bienes Museum of the Modern Book
Broward County Main Library, 6th Floor
100 S. Andrews Ave.
Ft. Lauderdale, FL 33301
Click here to browse the Bienes Museum’s 2011 Florida Artists' Book Prize Exhibition collection online.